Ordering Credit Reports, Updates To Credit Reports, and other Customer Service Requests
Our goal at Avantus is to make the ordering and delivery of your mortgage credit reports and associated services as quick and easy as possible. This information will help. If after reading this you still have questions, feel free to call us at any time: 800-243-0120, Option 1.
Ordering Credit Reports
All report requests can be made through our Avantus website. This includes first time orders, re-orders and upgrades. Merged credit report requests can also be generated from your Loan Origination System. Avantus interfaces with over 30 software platforms.
How to Order a Rapid Update
- The credit report should be reviewed for items that are inaccurate or items that need to be updated. For assistance on how to best improve the consumer's credit score, use one of our credit score improvement tools like CreditXpert, our credit score simulator product. For assistance with CreditXpert, please contact our Customer Service Department.
- The consumer will need to contact each creditor with inaccurate information listed on the report and request a credit reference letter (see section below on acceptable documentation).
- You will need to log onto Avantus and generate a Rapid Update order form.
- You must sign the Rapid Update form and fax it to Avantus along with the supporting documentation. The fax number is provided on the order form.
- Within 24 hours of receiving the documentation for the corrections, a member of the Avantus Rapid Update department will contact you to provide confirmation of receipt, or to inform the you of any documentation problems that exist.
- Once the Rapid Update department has reviewed all documentation and confirmed its acceptability, the Rapid Update request will be submitted to the credit bureaus you've specified.
- Turnaround time for the Rapid Update service is from 48 to 72 hours.
- After the contacted bureaus have confirmed that the corrections have been made, a member of the Rapid Update department will contact you with instructions to pull a new credit report.
- The charge for this product is posted to your account. No payment from the consumer should be sent to Avantus (the cost for this service cannot be passed on to the consumer, either directly or indirectly).
Acceptable Documentation for the Rapid Update Process
- Letter from Creditor or Collection Agency or an online statement- Letter must be from the company reporting the information and on company letterhead with signature, telephone number and full account information including the date the account was paid in full or closed if applicable
- Court Issued Documents- Required for all public record information updates. Release or satisfaction of judgments or liens stamped by the court house
- Bankruptcies- Require a letter of discharge and schedules D and F
Unacceptable Documentation for the Rapid Update Process
- Divorce Decree papers
- Money orders
- Copies of checks
- Monthly statements
- Mortgage settlement statements (HUD1)
- Letters from original creditors reporting under collection accounts
Additional Rapid Update Services
In addition to the standard updates offered through Rapid Update, Avantus also offers the following services, with limited availability. For additional information and pricing on these services, please contact a member of our Rapid Update Department at 800-243-0120 Option 1.
Dispute Comment Removal - available through all bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax). Please see our Liabilities in Dispute page for removal instructions.
Employment Data - Available through TransUnion and Experian only
File Separation* - Available through Experian only
Rush Service* - Available through Experian and Equifax only (24 hour turnaround)
* Additional charge applicable
Ordering a Business, Canadian, or International Credit Report
To order a Business, Canadian, or International Credit Report, simply contact Avantus and speak to a Customer Service Representative. They can provide you with pricing, the information needed to process the request, information on the turnaround time, and can fax you the order form and disclaimer form.
Full completion of the order form is needed to complete the request. You will receive these reports via fax or email. The charge will be assessed to the user's account who requested the report.
Ordering a Non-Traditional Credit Report
To order a non-traditional credit report, simply contact Avantus and speak to a Customer Service representative. They can provide you with pricing, the information needed to process the request, information on the turnaround time, and can fax you the order form and disclaimer form.
Full completion of the order form is needed to complete the request. You will receive the non-traditional report via the Avantus website. The charge will be assessed to the user's account who requested the report.
Trade Line Updates and Customer Service Requests
Service requests and trade line updates to a credit report can be requested:
- Through our website at www.avantus.com
- Phone: 800-243-0120, option 1
- Fax: 800-942-9451
Note: Service requests can only be ordered and received by a person from the mortgage company requesting the credit report; no consumer or 3rd-party requests can be fulfilled.
Borrower's Signed Authorization Form
This form should always be sent to Avantus by fax when ordering a trade line update or when a Residential Mortgage Credit Report is ordered. The purpose for this is to speed up the processing of your request. Most creditors require it from us because they consider Avantus a third party and will not release account information to us without it.
Avantus Authorization Form
Some creditors require that the authorization form appear under our company name. For that purpose, we have created an Avantus authorization form that can be accessed from our website. This form is pre-populated with your company name and the borrower's information. In the event that this form is needed, a member of our mortgage department will contact you. Please have the form signed by the borrower(s) and fax to our office.
Faxing of Reports
Avantus employees are allowed to fax a copy of a credit report only to the fax number listed for the account ordering the report. If there are additional fax numbers to which a credit report may need to be faxed, those numbers need to be listed on the mortgage company's account record.
Acceptable Documentation for Changing An Entry on a Credit Report
- Letter from the creditor reporting on the credit report. Must be on company letterhead
- Mortgage History Transaction Report
- Court-issued documents stamped by court house
- Bankruptcy papers - Creditor listing as well as the discharge letter is required